[Geomoose-users] Handle several map files with GeoMoose

Jim Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 07:59:03 PDT 2013

On Jun 26, 2013, at 8:07 AM, Robert R. Raiz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The idea is to create an environment which should allow the use of a specific map file based on user input (useful if one has several projects which are not connected). My goal is to use GeoMoose in an environment which will have a mapfile for each project. These mapfiles will be in local projection and will have all the data 'to be' added in the mapbook.xml file.
>
> So, let's say I have my map files city-based (each using its own local projection, the epsg code of the county):
>
> data/testing/dakota/dakota.map
> data/testing/commerce/commerce.map
> data/testing/chicago/chicago.map
>
> My goal is to populate (on the fly, using a script) the mapbook based on what I enter in the navigation bar.
>
> Two questions:
> 1. Do I have to create a .js file of all the epsg codes I use and add them in the geomoose.html file?
> I noticed that it also works without doing this. What am I gaining by creating these .js files?
I think Proj4JS checks spatialreference.org if it can't find the projection locally.  If it didn't work the lat/lon at the bottom of the window would be wrong and anything else requiring re-projection would fail.

> 2. Can I "read" the status of a layer (on, off) from the .map file instead of declaring the layer status in the mapbook?
> I already have the status of every layer stated in the corresponding map file. The ones I do not want to load (to have them checked) by default are set to OFF. It would be great if I could keep the status without having to specify them for each layer in the mapbook.
In the current form this would require GetMapbook.php be customized to use MapScript to parse the mapfiles.  There is a provision to support different mapbooks based on the URL (...geomoose.html?mapbook=).  If you didn't mind writing the mapbooks, you could use that.  Traditionally, we use a mapfile per layer to try and isolate faults (it is assumed that different layers are maintained by different people).

> Furthermore, I will be digging into GeoMoose 24/7 so if I can help the community with something, I will, gladly. The setback is that I am not a programmer so probably my options are limited.
Thanks.  We can always use help with docs and testing too.

> It would be great to meet some of the developers at FOSS4G Nottingham, at the Code Sprint or GeoHack days, although I did not see any presentation about GeoMoose in the schedule.
The GeoMoose community in Minnesota was rather swamped this spring with helping put together the FOSS4G-NA conference in Minneapolis.  It looks like we missed the deadlines for abstract submission.