[Geomoose-users] Help: My map will not show up in parcels demo

Behr Mirfathali behr at coastcom.net
Fri Nov 8 12:04:16 PST 2013

Thank you James Klassen for getting this working!

James wrote:

First off, I presume you have the unmodified demo working.  Starting from there thinking about the easiest thing you may be able to try to get around the projection thing.

Export the shapefile from AutoCAD Map in your local UTM NAD83 zone (I'd guess 10 or 11).  I only suggest exporting as UTM as an attempt to simplify because then we aren't trying to guess the correct EPSG code or proj.4 projection string.  Given more time, it isn't hard to get this right.  If Eli's suggestion was correct, that can be used instead.

If you are starting from the parcels.map file:

Delete line 62: "FILTER ([PARC_CODE] == 1)"  (otherwise MapServer will only display features with attribute PARC_CODE equal to 1, which probably doesn't match your dataset).

Delete line 59: "LABELITEM 'PIN'"  (unless you have an attribute PIN, this line would cause MapServer to return an error)
Change line 41: 'init=epsg:26915'
  to 'init=epsg:26910'
  or to 'init=epsg:26911'
  whichever matches the UTM zone that you exported the data
  or if you didn't use UTM, and know the proper code, put it here.

Put your shapefile (at a minimum the .shp, .shx, .dbf files) in the parcels folder (next to parcels.map) and, if necessary, change line 56 to reflect the name of your shapefile.
Assuming everything else is stock in the demo, you should be able to open the demo, turn on the parcels layer, and zoom/pan from MN to OR and see your data.

If you get a pink map, it means that there was a MapServer error.  To see the error message, you can look at MapServer's response in the Net tab in FireBug or Developer Toolbar.  (My experience has been this is easiest in Firefox and hardest in IE.)

Behr Mirfathali | Engineering Technician
Direct 360.326.5582 | Fax 541.265.8946|
behr at coastcom.net | www.coastcom.net<http://www.coastcom.net/>
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CEDC7A.A5B66D00]