[Geomoose-users] Creating of .map for Geomoose

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Dec 10 11:59:09 PST 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 6:04 AM, Caitlin Prodoehl
<caitlinprodoehl at co.stevens.mn.us> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a first time user to GeoMoose and kind of have an idea on how it works. However, the one thing that is stumping me is the .map which I assume is a text based map. How do I go about creating those? Is it in ArcMap or do I have to use some other program? Please let me know.

I think that the traditional method is a text editor like notepad or
notepad++ that Biswajit mentioned.  (a .map file is just a .txt file
with the .txt file extension changed to .map).  Usually starting with
another .map file as an example, for instance,
https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/blob/master/maps/demo/parcels/parcels.map.
A more complex .map with data similar to yours might be more helpful.

I think that there are also some WYSIWYG editors, maybe QGIS .map file
export extensions, there is also http://scribeui.org/ which I think
uses an alternate MapServer syntax and is more involved.  I think that
there are even old ArcMap extensions to export .map files.  I've not
used any of these so can't say much about them.

Best regards, Eli