[Geomoose-users] Creating of .map for Geomoose

Bistrais, Bob Bob.Bistrais at maine.gov
Thu Dec 10 10:03:21 PST 2015

Hi Caitlin, and welcome to GeoMoose,

The .map is indeed a text-based file, and it is the specification used by MapServer.  It is created/edited in a text editor, not in ArcGIS.  I thought there was a plugin for QGIS that would create MapServer mapfiles, but not sure.

Here is a URL to the MapServer website describing the mapfile: http://www.mapserver.org/mapfile/

Here is a tutorial on mapfiles: http://mapserver.org/tutorial/section1.html

You can also look at the demo data mapfiles that come with the GeoMoose download.  You should find them in \ms4w\apps\geomoose2\maps\demo\

That should give you something to look over, hopefully someone else here can point you to better resources.  Don't be afraid to ask questions to this list, the GM community is very helpful.

Bob