[Geomoose-users] documentation ideas

Dan Little theduckylittle at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 10:38:48 PST 2015

I think there are three things to keep in mind:

1. Brent's right that a lot of questions on-list and off-list are
related to MS4W installs.  This might be a gross assumption, however,
I don't believe Jeff would bother packaging GeoMOOSE with MS4W if he
wasn't seeing some pattern in the combined usage.  Given our
resources, if we are going to put a stake in some documentation then
doing it with MS4W *in mind* is not bad.  This is *not exclusionary*.

2. Jim and I will be continuing to do Linux and Mac support.  I am
getting out of the Mac game as my primary machine but will still have
them around in the house for testing.  We are both *far more useful*
on a POSIX-flavoured OS than we are on Windows.   I'll probably be
moving to create some sort of Docker environment for myself as I don't
like all the crap needed to support the PHP being a part of my base
install.   If I do that then there is every chance we could have a
docker image that is ready-to-run with Mapscript, PHP, Apache, and
TinyOWS.  In my opinion that is probably the most 'modern' and
accessible option for those who are into the Linux scene.

3. Regarding, "Fully embrace the MS4W Approach," to clarify my #1 and
previous emails:
 - Users need a consistent place to start and (most? many?) users are
starting from MS4W.
 - I believe simply *dropping* unnecessary wording and text from any
diagrams makes them more clear and doesn't cause unintended confusion.
It also makes them more re-usable.  Having blocks showing "web server
(Apache, IIS, etc.)" makes sense but saying "MS4W Webserver -- Apache"
gets too specific and belies the point.
 - *If* we start with a MS4W-centric set of Tutorial docs (which, yay!
go for it!) I will take it upon myself to "port them" to OSGeoLIve or,
generically, a Unix-like system.   And while OSGeoLive is an active
project, a great showcase, and used heavily come FOSS4G time, I'm not
sure how many people would honestly go from a Live-disc to a
production environment.  We know *for a fact* that people will take
MS4W from a desktop-installed curiosity and put it on bigger hardware
to serve hundreds of daily users.

I really do appreciate the investment in time and effort from Bob and
Brent on this one!!! We've really needed a landing place for new users
for a long time and I'd like to see it be something sustainable!