[Geomoose-users] A look to the future of GeoMoose?

Jim Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Tue May 26 22:25:49 PDT 2015

The MapServer dependency in GeoMoose is entirely in the PHP services.
I've been running GeoMoose since before it was GeoMoose with no PHP
services (but I have different requirements than the parcel demo app
too).  The HTML/JS portion of GeoMoose works quite well with WMS/WFS
servers and alternate services written in a variety of languages/frameworks.

IMHO, much of what is currently implemented in PHP in the demo can now
be better implemented in the browser with vector layers or using WMS
query methods.  (The downside of this is the demo services provide a
hopefully simple place for people to start from to integrate GeoMoose
with their own applications/data sources.

Identify is basically WMS GetFeatureInfo with a loop over each active layer.

Bird's Eye View and Google Street View just open a new window with a few
parameters set from the map.  I don't know why this was ever PHP.  I
have code in an extension that does this in the browser for opening up
Bing or Google maps zoomed to the user's approximate extent in
GeoMoose.  There is no reason these two couldn't be done the same way.

Select Features might be a bit tricky on the client only, but I think it
can be done with WMS and it certainly can be done with vector layers.
Even the buffering can be done client side with JSTS as is
experimentally being done at St. Paul.

Search Parcels should be doable with WMS queries and with vector layers.

Geocoder could easily be done in the browser, although it may need a
proxy on the "local" server if CORS isn't setup.  This could probably be
done with just the Apache HTTPd configuration as long as some thought is
given to security implications.

The tricky ones as I see it are the services that generate PDFs, and my
experiments a year or so ago demonstrated that modern browsers are
honoring sizes specified in real units (inches, mm) in @media print
rules, thus allowing printing to scale direct from the browser.  (Higher
than screen DPI printing works by putting an image with the right number
of pixels into the right sized spot on the page).

As for MS4W:  If your organization finds it useful, I'd suggest talking
to Jeff and maybe throwing some funds his way to help keep new versions
coming.  Building the binaries on Windows is a lot of work.  Unlike the
Linux/Unix builds where most of the pieces such as Apache, PHP, GDAL,
etc. are already packaged, on Windows you get to start with just a C++
compiler (and not even a fully useful C library, in the POSIX sense).
Even if someone else has built some of the dependencies you need, they
are difficult to use because of the need to match compiler versions and
build options (I count 10 separate builds on gisinternals.com for one
version of MapServer) with everything that links together.  Basically
that means you get to build the whole environment from scratch while
dealing with Windows specific build issues that turn up.

The last I checked, OSGeo4W also had issues with being out of date for
running GeoMoose. In particular, PHP being at 5.2.5 and php_mapscript at
5.6.6 (although mapserver and mapscript_python are reasonably recent at
6.4.1)

The gisinternals builds might be workable (if we drop PHP), but look
like they have a lot more work for the user to install than MS4W does.