[Geomoose-users] drawer behavior GM 2.8 vs 2.2

Dan Little theduckylittle at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 05:30:55 PDT 2015

This was a design decision motivated by two parts:

1. The UI library (dijit/dojo) didn't support that type of drawer
operation were were using before (that was a custom written control).
2. The drawers have the unfortunate consequence of *hiding*
functionality from the user.  This is fine if you have a bag of
various search tools, e.g. a draw labeled "Search by..." and then the
list contains the various options.  While 2.8 is not perfect at this,
we are trying to move as much of the obvious functionality in front of
the user without being overwhelming.  That was a large motivation for
moving the layer-editing controls to the catalog and pairing them with
their appropriate layer.  It made the 'verb' (Draw a Polygon) less
separate from the 'noun' (My Fun Custom Polygon WFS-T Layer).

That said, if you'd like this functionality to be a part of the
2.10/3.0 discussions then please plop an enhancement ticket into
Github.  After a monthlong break from GeoMOOSE work I'll be back at it
starting Friday.  I want to get a 2.8.1 released somewhere around
mid-November but since I'll be getting together with Jim for coding
work and probably holding a PSC meeting where we'll be filtering
through some of the tickets.