[GeoNode-devel] Calling the cops on the party in geonode.contrib

Jeffrey Johnson ortelius at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 08:48:50 PDT 2015

Hi All,

I just pushed a commit directly to master that broke the build.
https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode/commit/4baca0a24b65b9a2c656c47fd54c8c2f1c794acb

This puts the geonode.contrib apps in GEONODE_CONTRIB_APPS in
settings.py and makes sure they are *always* disabled by default.

The test failure is here
https://travis-ci.org/GeoNode/geonode/builds/71270871#L1645

And the root cause is here

https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode/pull/2206/files#diff-33cf4fcb0f4b5b8bf97b2d580c7eaec1R81

No need to point fingers as this PR went through the process we have
setup and was merged. We do however need to have some more guidelines
about how contrib modules should be handled.

After a quick chat with Simone and Ariel, I propose the following:

* New contrib modules should be initially proposed as a GNIP and
brought up on the list before submitting a PR
* Contrib modules should go into the GEONODE_CONTRIB_APPS block in
settings and _never_ be enabled by default.
* Contrib modules should have their own requirements.txt and not add
things to setup.py
* Contrib modules should be verified to not break the build when
enabled/disabled before merging
* There should be minimal docs about what it does and how to use it
etc. A README in the module is sufficient, a page in docs/

Anything else I missed? Im +1 to keep the party going and looking
forward to seeing interesting things in this part of the codebase, but
we cant get sloppy.

Jeff