[GeoNode-devel] Incubation / Transfer of Copyright to Osgeo / Contributor License Agreement

Jeffrey Johnson ortelius at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 10:13:04 PDT 2016

Hi All,

Thanks to Andy Dearing, Jody Garnett and Dan Berry at Boundless, we
have secured the necessary documentation to transfer copyright for the
GeoNode codebase from OpenPlans to OSGeo. Dan is in the process of
preparing a Pull Request that updates all the headers and will submit
it shortly.

David Bitner will continue working with us through the incubation
process. The next big step here is for us to adopt a Contributor
License Agreement and get us all (or at least most) to sign. See Issue
#2363 for some information
https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode/issues/2363 You can see the text
for the CLA here
http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/legal/licenses.html

Having personally had to sign TONs of documents recently, I would like
to strongly suggest that we use Docusign or a similar service for this
process as the burden on the signer is incredibly low compared to the
print, sign, scan, send method. Ill check in with Jody (cc'd) and the
incubation committee to ensure that this will satisfy their
requirements, but Im confident it will.

So, I'd like to make a motion to a) Acknowledge the transfer from
OpenPlans to OSGeo b) adopt the OSGeo supplied CLAs and c) use
docusign (or similar) for obtaining signatures. If we can all agree on
these things, Ill go ahead and get the documents out for everyones
signature and we can move forward on incubation.

I'll start with my own +1 for a, b and c.

Thanks in advance for your help on this,

Jeff