[GeoNode-devel] Create Layer Functionality

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:48:04 PDT 2016

The code Jeff is mentioning is working very well for us, though it
will require some improvement and an user interface - so far it is
just an API.

What it does:
* create a layer from a table join
* create a layer from a CSV

I was planning to refine it at some point and send a PR to GeoNode
2.4, but not sure when I will have some time to work with this.

Regarding Dimitris question - the implementation of a Create Layer
feature: at WorldMap there is already such a feature and it is working
very well since years. But it has been developed in a forked version
of GeoNode 1.2 so it will require some work to adapt it to 2.4. It is
anyway an excellent starting point for you I believe.
Source code is here:
https://github.com/cga-harvard/cga-worldmap/blob/legacy/geonode/maps/views.py#L2686

By the way, we are in the process to migrate everything to GeoNode
2.4. This will requires months (maybe we will be ready at the end of
2016), but at that point we should have the Create Layer feature in
GeoNode 2.4. Maybe as part of the table join/CSV application, or as a
core feature of GeoNode - we need to discuss this with other
developers.
Dmitiris if you guys are faster than me with this you are very welcome
and will pay you a beer when I am in Rome :)

cheers

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net