[GeoNode-devel] Getting my django app to save to postgis instead of the default database...

Simone Dalmasso simone.dalmasso at gmail.com
Mon May 9 10:19:18 PDT 2016

Hi it is correct, geonode models don't describe the layer contents only the
Layer entity. the geonode Layer table is in the geonode database and
contain the layers description while the shapefile content is stored in
dedicated tables in geonode_data and is created by geoserver on layer
upload.

> Hi all,
>
> I have a django app that harvests latitude and longitude as float numbers,
> together with some text, and stores them in a model. After syncdb, this
> happily writes to my "geonode" default database.
>
> But I want to plot this data in geoserver, and show it as a layer in
> geonode. So (I assume) I need to get the harvested data into the
> "geonode_data" postgis database.
>
> When I look into the django documentation for multiple databases
> <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.7/topics/db/multi-db/#defining-your-databases>,
> it suggests I use DATABASE_ROUTERS to achieve this. Sounds reasonable.
>
> But when I search the geonode codebase for DATABASE_ROUTERS there is nothing
> going on
> <https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=DATABASE_ROUTERS>
> .
>
> Is it correct that the only way data gets into a standard geonode
> datastore is directly via the upload app, and not via any models?
>
> Before I go down the DATABASE_ROUTERS rabbithole, I wanted to check if
> this is the correct way to get model data into the datastore, or am I
> missing something?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Dave

Simone