[GeoNode-devel] GeoNode and GeoServer in different LXD containers, automatic login failure

Florian Detsch florian.detsch at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Sep 28 08:58:25 PDT 2016

Hi,

I am going through the tutorial about 'GeoNode (v2.4) installation on
Ubuntu 14.04'
(http://docs.geonode.org/en/master/tutorials/install_and_admin/geonode_install/index.html)
in order to setup GeoNode v2.5.x
(https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode/tree/2.5.x) in an LXD container on
Ubuntu 16.04. When running GeoNode and GeoServer in the same container -
i.e., with an identical IP address - everything works fine.

However, my overall goal is to have GeoNode run on one machine, and
GeoServer on another. Therefore, I installed GeoServer in a second LXD
container just like before. Then, I modified
1. /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/geoserver/WEB-INF/web.xml, changing
parameter GEONODE_BASE_URL to the IP address and port of the GeoNode
container, and
2. did the same for parameter baseUrl in
/var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/geoserver/data/security/auth/geonodeAuthProvider/config.xml
as described in the tutorial's subsection 'Install GeoServer
Application'
(http://docs.geonode.org/en/master/tutorials/install_and_admin/geonode_install/install_geoserver_application.html).

Furthermore, in the initial GeoNode container, I modified parameters
ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse in
/etc/apache2/sites-available/geonode.conf to match with the new IP
address of the GeoServer container
(http://docs.geonode.org/en/master/tutorials/install_and_admin/geonode_install/setup_configure_httpd.html),
and did the same for the OGC_SERVER settings in GeoNode's local_settings.py.

Now, I can login to GeoNode as admin. When I open the admin menu in the
top-right corner and select GeoServer, I am redirected to the desired
GeoServer as expected. However, the automatic login - which initially
worked when both components ran in the same container - fails, letting
me assume that there's something going wrong during the authentication
procedure.

Any advice on that issue would be highly appreciated. In addition,
please let me know if further information, log files, etc. are required
in order to solve my problem.

Many thanks in advance,
Florian

--
Florian Detsch (M.Sc. Physical Geography)
Environmental Informatics

Phone: +49 (0) 6421 28-25323
Web: http://umweltinformatik-marburg.de/en/staff/florian-detsch/