[GeoNode-devel] GeoNode debian packaging process

Simone Dalmasso simone.dalmasso at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 04:27:54 PST 2017

Thanks Angelos,
+1

I have a suggestion on the deb packaging script too. Right now it
automatically generates a changelog (very good) although by default the
target ubuntu release is defined to the one used to do the release, so for
example it's impossible to release for xenial from a trusty machine (as I
do) forcing us to copy the packages in launchapd.

It would be good to edit the changelog before doing the dput in lauchpad. I
couldn't find an option for git-dch /gbp-dch to do that unfortunately.
Maybe some of you knows if is possible.

> Hi all,
>
> I have noticed that our current release process is not very flexible in
> terms of how our Launchpad releases are handled.
> Right now we use "paver release", which automates packaging (good thing)
> and publishes both to Pypi and Launchpad.
>
> The issue I see is that Launchpad release should be done separately and
> not force us to make a new Pypi release in order to change the debian
> package. Also this would help us avoid the awkward package names like
> 2.4.0~thefinal8 etc...
>
> So I am proposing that we separate the debian packaging  from the paver
> command, and provide some documentation on how to manually prepare the
> debian package (which IMHO is ok given that we already prepare all our
> dependencies manually, including the geoserver packages).
> I can work towards this direction if everyone agrees.
>
> Best,
> Angelos
>
> --
> Angelos Tzotsos, PhD