[GeoNode-devel] Customize GeoNode

Tom Pyatt tom.pyatt.nz at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 18:32:41 PDT 2017

I have attempted the instructions you referenced and they are not resulting
in a workable GeoNode. Perhaps the documentation has not been fully updated
to work with the GeoNode 2.6.3 version. There seem to be a few variations of
those docs and all have failed for me when attempting to use GeoNode 2.6.3.

After a bit of trial and error I was successful using the more simplified
approach outlined on the geonode-project page (
https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode-project/ ).

My steps were this.

Install geonode 2.6.3 with:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:geonode/stable

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install geonode

Create a new template based on the geonode example project.:

$ django-admin startproject my_geonode
--template=https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode-project/archive/2.6.zip
-epy,rst

$ sudo pip install -e my_geonode

(Ignored the local_settings.py usage as it is not required)

$ cp /path/to/my_geonode/my_geonode/wsgi.py /var/www/geonode/wsgi/wsgi.py

Edit the file /etc/apache2/sites-available/geonode as per instructions

$ sudo service apache2 restart

Edit the templates in my_geonode/templates

$ python manage.py collectstatic

Tom