[GeoNode-users] How I can upload a shape file of 1Gb in geonode?

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 09:01:36 PST 2015

Hi Joan,

We've did some testings regarding this issue and we successfully uploaded a
fairly large shapefile. The vector file had 4,002,000 polygons and 975 Mb.
(You read it right, more than 4 million records).
What we observed was that the file upload whet very fast however, it took
more than 30 minutes for Geonode to complete the action and let us edit the
Metadata record. I believe that 30min time is the time it takes for the
shapefile to be converted to PostGis and then registered on GeoSever.

Also, with a layer this large, GeoServer will have a hard time responding
to the image requests so navigating through the layer is very slow. I still
have to figure out if creating indexes or doing some scale specific style
will improve performance.

But the short answer is. It will handle large shapefiles but it takes time
to convert the shape to postgis and to render the beast.

Cheers
Daniel