[GeoNode-users] Other issues on the visibility of private groups

Alessandro Sarretta alessandro.sarretta at gmail.com
Tue May 19 15:54:12 PDT 2015

Dear all,
I'm writing here before adding a comment on github to ask you
confirmation or some issues I'm encountering.

Two general question:

  * I've seen that there is no more a "registered" users group where the
    users are assigned by default. Is this correct? I think it should be
    useful to have it to differentiate permissions between
    non-registered and registered users.
  * in the "Explore people" page I can only see the first 20 people, but
    there is no way to move to the following pages. Changing in the URL
    (.../people/?limit=20&offset=0) the "limit" from 20 to something
    bigger can solve the problem, but it seems clear there's something
    missing in that page.

Then, playing around with groups and members, I found some other
inconsistencies in the visibility of groups and members (issue 1784
<https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode/issues/1784>), in particular looking
in the profile page (http://geonodewebsite/people/profile/xxx). I'm
explaining them here in detail hoping this could help in solving the issue:

 1. A user can always see which group he's member of (ok)
 2. When a group is public, users can always see if another user is
    member of that group (ok)
 3. When a group is private, users in general can't see if another user
    is member of that group, (ok)
 4. If a user is a member of a private group, he can't see if another
    user is member of that group (non sure about the correctness of
    this, but I would say that it should be possible)
 5. If a manager of a private group looks in the profile pages of
    members of that group, he can't see if those users are members of
    the group (in my opinion this is not correct)
 6. The previous behaviour is the same even if the manager is also
    superuser (again I think this is not correct).

Just to add a last information on that, a non registered user now can
see everything (all groups and their members) in the "Explore Groups"
page, even if the groups are private (and this is the issue 1784), but
he can't see anything about membership in the user profile page (and
this is correct).
The only difference between a non-registered user and a registered one
in the profile page is that the registered user can see a "Group"
header, but without anything below (see attached images).

Let me know whether you have the same issues and if it's ok to report
them in github.
Thank you,

Ale

--