[GeoNode-users] Integration with existing mapserver and associated metadata

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 11:05:08 PST 2016

Hi Margherita:

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 5:22 AM, Margherita Di Leo <diregola at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
> Second issue that I encountered is the following. In our system
> infrastructure, the data are served by Mapserver, and this is not going to
> change. Introducing GeoNode, however, we want also to introduce the
> possibility to selected users to publish their data through the
> infrastructure exploiting the capabilities of GeoNode, so geoserver as well.

aside: note that there has been various discussion over the years about making
GeoNode's OWS server backend pluggable, so that one can swap
out GeoServer for MapServer or something else.  Sounds like this would fit
your use case.  I think this is worth investigating in the future.

> And of course we want this to be as seameless as possible. To do this, we
> thought to deploy data from Mapserver via web service in Geonode. But the
> blocker here is how to deal with metadata associated to the maps stored in
> mapserver.

Can you clarify here?  What do you mean by maps stored in MapServer?
Assuming an OWS endpoint, GeoNode can harvest the service and it's
underlying contents (WMS=layers, WFS=featuretypes, WCS=coverages).