[GeoNode-users] geonode and darwin core metadata?

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 14:56:30 PST 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 9:41 AM, De Stefano, Matteo
<matteo.destefano at nina.no> wrote:
> Dear Geonode users and developers,
>

> Are you aware of any attempt of integrating the Darwin core [1] metadata
> standard in geonode? It is a metadata standard designed to describe
> biodiversity data, mostly occurrence (observations in time and space). GBIF
> [2] is one of the main efforts for collecting and sharing biodiversity
> information, and comes with its own tool for metadata management, the IPT
> [3]. As I understand, a Darwin core archive is usually described by the EML
> (Ecological metadata standard)[4] format, and compatible with ISO 19139. Any
> feedback?

Hi Matteo:

I'm not aware of anything in GeoNode in this direction.  Having said this, given
a dwr:SimpleDarwinRecord extends Dublin Core, we could extend the metadata
ingest functionality to store the raw XML as is and store the Dublin Core based
fields as queryables (GeoNode supports Dublin Core).  Users downloading data
can then get the original Darwin Core or transformed metadata as part of their
workflow.

..Tom