[GeoNode-users] 'geonode' command on Ubuntu throws "Unknown command" when called without arguments

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Wed May 11 04:37:50 PDT 2016

Hi Simone --

On 11/05/16 13:28, Simone Dalmasso wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yes those steps are for when you installed geonode using apt-get.

Right, that's what I did.

> They can be issued as they are

But then 'geonode' will throw an error
message, as I described. I find that
a little disconcerting.

> and the geonode theme will be installed
> systemwide as geonode is and you need to have geonode installed before
> doing that.
>
> You don't have to use django-admin except for the template creation. The
> commands as they are using manage.py work fine. If you installed geonode
> manually then it depends on your configuration but still is very similar.
> The geonode command is not used anymore to do collectstatic because the
> manage.py will take care of it.

So do I understand correctly, that I can just
skip running 'geonode'?

Then maybe that step should be removed from
the instructions on the Web?

Cheers and Thanks for your quick reply!

Ben