[GeoNode-users] Installation Problems with version 2.6 on Ubuntu 16.04

Cliff Patterson cliffpatterson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 09:20:32 PDT 2017

Hello,

I decided to give Geonode 2.6 a go and installed it on a fresh VM running
Ubuntu 16.04.2 x64. I installed it with the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:geonode/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install geonode
geonode createsuperuser
sudo geonode-updateip 67.207.87.119

When creating the super user, I get the following warning:

geonode createsuperuser
System check identified some issues:

WARNINGS:
?: (1_8.W001) The standalone TEMPLATE_* settings were deprecated in Django
1.8 and the TEMPLATES dictionary takes precedence. You must put the values
of the following settings into your default TEMPLATES dict: TEMPLATE_DIRS.
base.ResourceBase.tkeywords: (fields.W340) null has no effect on
ManyToManyField.
Username: test
Email address:
Password:
Password (again):
Superuser created successfully.

When running sudo geonode-updateip 67.207.87.119, the following happens:

1) Hangs on "Inspecting the available layers in GeoServer ..."
2) Geonode does get up and running at 67.207.87.119 but no ability to login

sudo geonode-updateip 67.207.87.119
Replacing SITEURL value with '67.207.87.119' in
/etc/geonode/local_settings.py ... done.
Adding entry for '67.207.87.119' in
/usr/share/geoserver/data/printing/config.yaml ... done.
Adding ALLOWED_HOSTS with in /etc/geonode/local_settings.py ... done.
Setting up oauth
Inspecting the available layers in GeoServer ...

Am I missing something in the instructions? Do we need to install Geoserver
on Tomcat7 first, then Geonode? As far as I can see, Geoserver has not been
installed, which I thought was part of the geonode installation, but I
could be wrong.