[GeoNode-users] Layer Security Geonode/Geoserver

John, Steffen s.john at atenekom.eu
Fri Jun 9 06:17:57 PDT 2017

Hi!
I'm using Geonode 2.4 with Geoserver 2.7. I'm actually not sure whether this question belongs to GeoNode or GeoServer mailing list.
Here what I want to do:

I added a layer group to Geoserver and want to add this as a backgroundlayer to the geonode maps (for example at creating a new map). Since layer groups are not supported from Geonode, I added this layergroup as "external" WMS by appending its properties to MAP_BASELAYERS in settings.py.

The Problem:
This works fine as long as a user is logged in in Geonode. Anonymous Users get red tiles. Since I can't add the layer to Geonode I also can't set the permission for it.

I thought it must be possible to grant access for anonymous users from the Geoserver security for only this layer. I tried all the Geoserver security tutorials, read about filter and provider chains, modified layers.properties and tried somehow changing the authentification filters, but none of it worked. It is very complex and I still didn't understood it, completely.

I was actually wondering, because the layers and service security is both set to *.*, meaning that access to all services and layers is granted to all roles. But this doesn't seem to be the case.

To summarize:

I want to grant access for anonymous users for a specific layer group in Geoserver. Other layers should be secured as normal.
Ideally, the access is not granted to everyone, but only to requests with a specific referer information in the request, but I'm not sure if this is even possible.

Any hints are highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

Steffen