[GeoNode-users] Authentication, Authorisation against LDAP

Christian Braun christian.braun at list.lu
Thu Mar 2 04:50:00 PST 2017

Dear list,

I do have a fresh Geonode 2.4.1 installation from the Ubuntu stable repository running.
I also tried to replicate with a checkout from Git with latest 2.5 version. Same behaviour.

I want to authenticate against our local corporate LDAP/Active Directory. This is working fine so far, I can login with my corporate credentials. User flags, like "superuser", "is_staff" and "is_active" are being replicated accordingly if I set AUTH_LDAP_USER_FLAGS_BY_GROUP. LDAP groups of the user are also replicated in the admin interface.

But, how do I get group membership of authenticated users to work with Geonode group permissions and authorisation? Groups nor users are being replicated in the Geonode UI and I can not assign any rules, e.g. access to layers...
This doesn't work as well with locally created users [1].

Do I miss any steps of configuration to make this work? I think these things should work out-of-the-box, right?

Many thanks in advance,
Christian

[1] http://docs.geonode.org/en/master/reference/security.html#permissions-and-geonode-objects

Christian Braun, MSc.
Research Associate for Geocomputation
eScience Unit
Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) Department
Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST)

41, rue du Brill
L-4422 Belvaux
Tel: +352 42 59 91 - 6608
Fax : +352 275 885