[GeoNode-users] [GeoNode-devel] ATTENTION: GeoNode GitHub Repos Summary and Status

Olivier Dalang olivier.dalang at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 15:56:24 PDT 2018

Hi !

Thank you very much Alessio for the clarifications, it's very helpful.

Could expand a little on the branches description by explaining the policy
for each branch (including the 2.6.x branch) :

- what is accepted in the branch (breaking changes, new features, bugfixes
only, nothing...)
- ETA and/or conditions for release
- expected lifetime after which the branch won't have new releases

Compared to semantic versioning (major.minor.patch, corresponding to
breaking-changes/non-breaking-changes/bugfixes), I think currently use an
additional top level but without no patch level
(complete-rewrites.major.minor).

This is a bit hard to work with if you need stable branches. For example,
if you're using 2.8.0 and need the bugfixes, you'll have to wait for 2.8.1,
but it will also include new features (and hence new bugs, database
migrations, etc...).

I suggest adding a new version level for patch versions, so that we have
actually stable branches. This clearly represents a little bit additional
work, but I believe if policies are very clear, the community would be able
to do the work of backporting the bugfixes they need if they know there's
going to be a release soon. Also we can do that only for a few select
branches (that are LTS).

Note that I don't say we should do strict semantic versioning (maybe a bit
difficult), my main concern is separating new features and bug fixes.

And by the way, if 2.7.x is the release candidate for 2.8.1, can't we just
call it 2.8.x ? (kind of counter intuitive to have 2.7.x ahead of 2.8.0)

Thanks for the great work !!

Olivier