[GeoNode-users] Geoserver keeps CPU at 100%

Stefano.LUONI at ext.ec.europa.eu Stefano.LUONI at ext.ec.europa.eu
Wed Jul 11 00:05:14 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing a strange issue for a few days now and I didn't manage to solve it yet. There is something wrong with Geoserver's Java threads, as after some usage, the navigation on website suddenly becomes slow and when executing a "top" on server, I find all CPU cores at 100% and a long list of tomcat8 processes running, even if no one is accessing the site.

Unfortunately, checking the logs doesn't give me a clue of what's happening, as warnings and errors are constantly changing and so far I was not able to spot the exact moment when Java failures are triggered.

I'm running Geonode 2.7.5, with Geoserver 2.12 snapshot on an Ubuntu 16.04 Server. I already tried upgrading both tomcat8 and OpenJDK from apt, but it didn't solve the issue.

These are building infos on Geoserver:

Build Information
GeoServer Version
2.12-SNAPSHOT
Git Revision
ba5175e3bcc4a5d2bc472809eccad682cc180cd8
Build Date
29-Mar-2018 14:27
GeoTools Version
18-SNAPSHOT (rev c41e79c4aaa3ec2db3b0f1e1ed4a5d485fddb75a)
GeoWebCache Version
1.12-SNAPSHOT (rev fd34a157375068f0a88f43f4abef154daaca7017/fd34a157375068f0a88f43f4abef154daaca7017)

I also tried updating Geoserver version to 2.13, but some layers (defined by SQL queries) stopped working, hence I had to rollback to 2.12.

This machine has been running fine for months, and only a few days ago started having this issue; we didn't install anything new, so I'm wondering if any of the layers uploaded is somehow causing the problem.

I attached an extraction of Geoserver log, hoping this can give you some hints.

Thanks,

Stefano