[GeoNode-users] Candidature for Geonode PSC

Olivier Dalang olivier.dalang at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 16:56:19 PDT 2018

Dear Geonode Community,

I'd like to submit my candidature to be part of the Geonode PSC.

I'm currently working as a software developer at SPC (Pacific Community),
where we provide technical assistance to our member countries in several
fields including geoscience. We rely a lot on Geonode for various type of
deployments (from small-scale office wide one to regional data portals) and
are firmly decided to continue to do so.

I'm new to the Geonode community, but met some of you during the last
summit it Turin. So far my biggest contribution (not in the core though) is
an alternative deployment method using Docker, thought to facilitate
production-ready deployments.

Before coming to the Pacific, I worked in urban planning where I picked up
the (Q)GIS virus, continued in academic research on historical GIS, then
moved to Senegal where I worked a lot with Django on geographical data.

These are the priorities that I'll try to push forward if I make it into
the PSC :
- an easy to deploy Geonode with best possible possible experience out of
the box
- a conservative approach for the project management (branches with strict
policy, release blocking issues, etc. based on successful OS projects
practices such as QGIS or Django), so that we get a more stable product,
even if at the price of having new features taking more time to be merged
into core
- restart discussions around Geonode 3 and find strategies to make it happen

Kind regards,

Olivier