[Geoprisma-dev] config.xml ideas : automatism

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Thu Dec 17 13:08:33 EST 2009

Yves Moisan wrote:

> Off the top of my head :
>
> - if only a tilecache layer is automatically defined, will the
> queryonclick still be resolved (or will adding a queryonclick on a
> resource automatically trigger a wms layer to be added) ?

created, but not added to the map

> I agree things are pretty complicated in the xml file now, but I'm not
> sure adding lots of automagic things is really helpful in the end.

I disagree.  With 2-3 options max to set once instead of creating a
bunch of layer nodes, how can't this be helpful ?

> Implementers will have to go back and forth between their config file
> and a view source just to see what was automagically generated.

Isn't the opposite : with all layer nodes having their options, the
implementer has to go to see what was created more times than if you
have 2-3 options to set once.  And it's also longer to do so.

> Could we think of adding some parameter to the config file that would
> tell GP to use automatic behaviour or something ?
No need to.  It would be a new driver with its own options, so a second
way to do things.  Like all widgets created in GeoPrisma: they are all
unique, customized to do one or more thing and are all ok to use.

To keep in mind : my goal is to make it shorter, faster to create and
simpler for the implementers to create the config file, and 'automatism'
seems a good approach.

> Anyhow, I suggest we don't go and implement "automagicness" now and
> concentrate on broadening the list of widgets in GP for a start.
Even if I'm already 'sold' to the new idea, I totally agree that we
could skip it before 1.0 and concentrate on what we have.  What we have
right now is still usable and will continue to be supported.

>   I am too rather concerned by the size and complexity of our config.xml file
> but we need to step back and think how to factor things out and
> obviously how to implement things.
Any ideas ?

--
Alexandre Dubé