[Geoprisma-dev] QueryOnClick - Clear button

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Mon Nov 2 10:52:30 EST 2009

> The old behavior was : "do nothing", so leaving default (null) should do
> nothing, like :
> (A)
> - default && "nothing" == nothing's removed
> - "marker" == remove the marker only
> - "all" == removes everything
>
> "So both the default (null) and marker would remove the marker" is not possible unless we don't care about backwards compatibility.

Right.  But being backwards compatible here would mean preserving a
behaviour that does not feel normal for a GIS user.  When you are using
a desktop GIS and you click on the "i", you generally get a popup with
info (or I guess you could fill some panel in the UI).  When you click
some other widget or tool, the info box disappears and there is nothing
left of your previous "i" foray.

So, from that point of view, it would even make sense to not only delete
the marker, but to clear the search results as well, but I wouldn't go
so far as doing that because I think people will have at least a short
term memory of where they clicked on the map to get info so the info per
se might still be useful without the marker on the map.  But the marker
definitely is a hindrance and is IMO misleading when one is browsing or
panning or doing anything else except an "i" on the map.

> In my opinion, it was not a "good" behavior anyway to do nothing by default, so we could go with :
> (B)
> - "nothing" == nothing's removed
> - default and "marker" == remove the marker only
> - "all" == removes everything
>
> What do you think ?

So I agree with B, noting that we won't get much anger from our users by
not preserving backwards compatibility in this case ;-)

Yves