[Geoprisma-dev] Introduction

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Mon Nov 2 11:05:21 EST 2009

> Hi there,
>
> I'm Christoph from Germany, I'm working on Mapbender, a PHP-based software
> and portal site for geodata management of OGC OWS architectures. Mapbender
> is also an official OSGeo project. I guess Arnulf (OSGeo pres) contacted
> you at FOSS4G and announced we (Mapbender project) were interested in
> collaboration.
>
> Mapbender already has some security measures, like OWS proxy [1], or HTTP
> authentication [2] (argh....german language only...sorry). For now, I want
> to follow the discussion and learn more about the GeoPrisma project. I
> would be glad to also contribute to the project and hopefully use it along
> with Mapbender.
>
> Thanks for now and best wishes

Hi Christoph,

Thanx for your email.  Indeed we talked with Arnulf after our GeoPrisma
presentation and he told us about the pieces where we may have
overlapping functionalities.  I'm very eager to find out about how we
can rely on MapBender for some of the things that GP does now.  Daniel
pointed at proxy performance and that sure is a big issue for now, but
there may be other areas where collaboration would serve us well.

I'll let Julien report on what he and Arnulf discussed at the sprint day
about future collaboration between our two projects because I was not
there.  But I sure invite you to drop GP (get a ZIP file on
geoprisma.org) on a web enabled directory and give it a spin.  If you or
one of your colleagues is an XSLT guru, you will find there is a great
potential for "theming" web applications.

We'll see on our side how we can set up MapBender, but our short term
aim is to come up with a 1.0 "full feature" release.  We'll report on
the list of any trials with MapBender.  Hopefully, we can help bend maps
too !

Welcome to our list,

Yves