[Geoprisma-dev] Caching on client-side, TileCache example

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Nov 9 14:35:49 EST 2009

Yves Moisan wrote:

> It definitely is a PITA to wait for tiles to show up.  The problem I
> found is particularly acute when zooming back out.  Heck, you were at
> zoom level N, went at N+1 for a minute, and when you zoom back out to N
> it takes for ever to see an image.  Kills the TileCache IMO.  So my
> position now would be : let's create a client-side caching option and
> document its shortcomings.  Most organizations will probably live with
> the risks (which can probably be somewhat alleviated) to get a *fast*
> mapping application.

An option with proper documentation of the risks of caching may be the
only solution.

In addition to the docs we could provide two optional features that
could be enabled or not at the choice of the developer deploying an
application:

1- There could be an optional prompt at the beginning of a user's
session asking if they want caching or not, perhaps with a link to some
explanation of the risks of enabling caching.

2- When the user logs out (i.e. explicit logout), a note reminding them
to clear their cache if they are on a shared workstation (just like
online banking sites do).

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette