[Geoprisma-dev] #9250 (Add jQuery Tools to base install) – Plone

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Wed Nov 11 12:26:12 EST 2009

Le mercredi 11 novembre 2009 à 10:27 -0500, Alexandre Dube a écrit :
> Yves,
>
>   OK, I understand better as well.  I'll simply point out a quote you used :
>
> from jQuery Tools : "Let's face it: do you really need
> drag-and-drop, resizable windows or sortable lists in your web
> applications? Websites are not desktop applications. They are
> different ... What you really need are tabs, tooltips, accordions,
> overlays, high usability, striking visual effects ..."
>

>   Well, a website is not a desktop application, but GeoPrisma is.

And maybe it should not.  I find the geoprisma.org website now (Ext
based) not very RESTful.  For example it is awfully hard to point people
to specific urls of the website (e.g. geoprisma/download) and I don't
think that is very good web behaviour.  All tabs on that site should be
urls IMO.  I precisely hate Flash apps for that very reason : try to
point someone to a url in a Flash site.

Could GeoPrisma be less "desktop-like" if it relied on a JS library that
is less desktop-like and still be a cool Web 2.0 app ?  It could be
quite cool if folks from a project could point others to urls.  I don't
know.  I'm just wary of desktops on the web.

> ExtJS
> has so much tools and cool stuff to offer (like panels, tree, toolbars,
> actions, etc.)

I think all of those can be handled in jQuery Tools.  From my initial
perspective at least.

> that it would be hard to make a jQuery Tools wrapper for
> OpenLayers intead of ExtJS.

That is certainly true and I'm not suggesting we do that now.

> And having "some" parts removed and
> replaced by jQuery would sound kinda "hybrid"...
>
>   It would be possible to have some tools created in jQuery Tools, but
> not all.  So a jQT "drawmode" would have its limits, but would be faster
> and better than html only.  So, in the end, useful but with its limits.

Could be.  Dunno

Cheers,

Yves