[Geoprisma-dev] GeoPrisma General doc structure, proposition

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Mon Nov 16 08:30:16 EST 2009

Yves Moisan wrote:

> A bit too big a patch for me to comment on.  There are a few typos so I
> guess at this point just commit and I'll review.  The overall structure
> looks ok.  Particular comments :
>
> - IN docs/source/introduction/index.rst :
>
>   - you should  mention the datastore in between the service and
> resource (you talk about datastores in the tutorials, so introduce it
> here)

Got it.

> - IN docs/source/tutorials/install-strategy.rst (why
> "install-strategy.rst" and not just "install.rst" ?)

Yeah...  To me, it looks more like "my way" of installing GP, like "one
possibility", but we could have one recipe and edit it as the days go
by, adding new tips and tricks on the way...  I'll change the name to
install.rst

>   - I wonder if the "how to prepare your Resources" is necessary; if you
> do put it, maybe it would be interesting to draw further parallels with
> a layer in a mapfile or a featureserver.cfg file

Again, this portion is useful only for someone without any knowledge of
GeoPrisma and who doesn't know what to do at all...  I'll add pointers
to external doc (MapServer, TileCache, FeatureServer, etc.)

>   - in the "Fill the requirements" section, mention there's an index.php
> in the bundles that checks for requirements

Got it.

> That's a good start.  I think the basic architecture blocks are there.
> A next whirl at docs could be more use case oriented.  One idea would be
> to document samples, highlighting some peculiar options/settings that
> cover the use case.  An example : I want to be able to tick all layers
> off (alloverlay

Absolutely.  That's one of the best way to learn : with samples
(examples).  I'll document mine first, add some more samples (really
common, like with only a map) and document them as well.

Thanks a million for your comments,

Alexandre

--
Alexandre Dubé