[Geoprisma-dev] Proposed change in workspaces

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Thu Nov 26 13:24:11 EST 2009

Le jeudi 26 novembre 2009 à 12:09 -0500, Alexandre Dube a écrit :
> Yves,
>
> Yves Moisan wrote:
> > I don't think it makes sense to be able to use many maps in a workspace.
> Why not ?  Where would you put the "multi-map" support then ?

I would use a different workspace if I wanted a new map.  Multiple <map>
objects can be declared in the widgets section, so we effectively have
"multi-map support", and you would have multiple workspaces that would
each include one and only one map.  I think it makes it simpler no ?  I
wonder how workspaces would be used if there wer multiple map objects in
them.  You would need to add a map parameter in the url, like
http://myurl/?workspace=MyWorkspace&map=Map1 ?

> > but I think it's better to use a different map object to tweak map options for now.
> >
> I agree.
>

> > Also, the mapfishlayertree need not be specified as a widget to include in a workspace.  That makes it a "special" widget.
> That's a flaw IMHO, in the same way, all widgets that are not linked to
> any resource should also be considered as "special" :
>
> MeasureTool
> GeoExtToolbar
> Scale
> ZoomSlider
> MousePosition
> LegendPanel
> GeoExtux_GeoNamesSearchCombo
>
> That's old discussion stuff ;)
>

> === conclusion ===
>
> +0
>
> Since you seem need the update really quickly, it would be ok to commit
> these changes.  But, I think more 'conceptualization' could have been
> done to include the possibility to have 'mutli-map' support some day,
> and the workspace structure seemed the perfect way to accomplish this.

Are you a little more than +0 with the fact that we do have multi-map
support the way I propose it ?  Note that this will bring a small
backward incompatible change : a <map> object must be declared in the
workspace, ahead of the <resources>.  Are you still OK with that.

Yves