[Geoprisma-dev] Caching for the Proxy

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Thu Jan 28 14:57:13 EST 2010

Yves Moisan wrote:
> Sorry to bug the list some more, but I noticed that I needed all of
>
> //----------------------------
> // Proxy caching configuration
> //----------------------------
>
> // set TileCache proxy caching only
> org_geoprisma_SettingImpl::setTileCacheProxyCaching(true);
> org_geoprisma_SettingImpl::setTileCacheProxyCachingExpires(2419200);
>
> // set WMS proxy caching only
> org_geoprisma_SettingImpl::setWMSProxyCaching(true);
> org_geoprisma_SettingImpl::setWMSProxyCachingExpires(2419200);
>
> // set ALL proxy caching
> org_geoprisma_SettingImpl::setProxyCaching(true);
> org_geoprisma_SettingImpl::setProxyCachingExpires(2419200);
>
> for things to get cached.  At first, I tried to cache just TileCache,
> but that did not seem to work.
Could you please fill a ticket for this ?

>   Anyhow, I didn't go into the code really
> but if I set client-side caching like above, does it mean new edits in a
> PostGIS table (served by MapServer) could go unnoticed for 2419200
> seconds = 28 days ?  Nothing can tell Apache if something has changed
> from what I can see, so it seems to me we'll have to tell users to clean
> their cache often for layers they edit ...

In that case, you would use no caching for WMS only.

> Eventually, I think caching should be a datastore option.
This adds a lot of complexity in my opinion and should be avoided.  The
primary goal of caching is : performance.  Turning it on should come
with some minor drawbacks, such as having an edited layer unchanged on
the wms image but really changed on the vector side.

My 2 cents,

Alexandre

--
Alexandre Dubé