[Geoprisma-dev] PHP/Mapscript dependencies

Etienne Dube etienne.dube at boreal-is.com
Tue Oct 5 12:04:16 EDT 2010

On 05/10/2010 9:32 AM, Julien-Samuel Lacroix wrote:

> On 10-10-05 08:23 AM, Alexandre Dube wrote:
>>> Another question (kind of targeted to you guys at Mapgears): what's
>>> the current status of PHP/Mapscript compatibility with mod_php, as of
>>> Mapserver 5.2.x? What about GeoPrisma itself? We have a weird issue
>>> with php-cgi on one of our production servers and we'd like to try
>>> mod_php to see if it improves the situation.
>
> You can use PHP/MapScript with mod_php. We always do it that way now.
> However it may be better to use it with mpm-prefork instead of
> mpm-worker in your Apache configuration.
>
> Julien

Hi Julien,

Thanks for your answer, that's good to know. However I vaguely remember
(and I could be wrong) that mpm-prefork incurs a performance penalty
under Windows, since forking processes is rather costly under this OS
(unlike Linux). And we get back to the thread safety issue of
PHP/MapScript when using mod_php under a multithreaded Apache server...
I guess the answer is to avoid the use of Windows, but that's not really
an option in our case. Anyway for the time being it shouldn't be a
problem using mod_php since GP doesn't have dependencies to
PHP/MapScript as Alexandre confirmed.

Etienne

--
Etienne Dubé