[Geoprisma-dev] gettext under Windows

Etienne Dube etienne.dube at boreal-is.com
Tue Mar 1 09:35:16 EST 2011

Hi,

We have noticed a problem with the gettext library under PHP 5.3.5 and
Windows Server 2008 (x64). Details are in the ticket:
http://trac.osgeo.org/geoprisma/ticket/193

A possible solution would be to replace the default gettext that comes
with PHP (which relies on the GNU gettext library) with an alternate,
pure PHP implementation, namely php-gettext
(https://launchpad.net/php-gettext/). I've tested it successfully by
implementing a new subclass of Locale.

Now the question is whether we make this new class (namely
PhpGetTextLocale) as the default in Setting.php (by changing the
LOCALE_CLASS constant), or leave GetTextLocale with the GNU gettext
implementation as the default. php-gettext is licensed under the GPLv2,
whereas GeoPrisma has a "Modified BSD License" (which is GPL-compatible
according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_licenses) so legally it
should be fine. However, Yves pointed out to me that including a GPLv2
lib would prevent the use of GeoPrisma in some contexts that the BSD
license allows for, namely in proprietary, non-free software.

So the two options would be:

1 - Make the new PhpGetTextLocale the default in Setting.php and
distribute php-gettext with GeoPrisma (in the lib/ directory). The old
GetTextLocale would still be there if someone wants to use the GNU
gettext implementation.

2 - Include the PhpGetTextLocale class but leave the existing
GetTextLocale class as the default and don't distribute php-gettext with
GeoPrisma. Users who want to use php-gettext would have to download the
library themselves and override the default setting using the
SettingImpl class.

I'm neutral on that one, since both options are acceptable for our
needs. Any opinions on that?

Thanks,

Etienne

--