[geos-devel] GNU Autoconf / Automake Expert Needed

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Aug 29 12:22:33 EDT 2002

PostGIS'ers,
  The porting project to bring JTS topological functionality into the
C++ world has been ongoing for the last few months. Yury Bychkov of the
University of Victoria is the lead developer and is being assisted by
Martin Davis, the developer of JTS. The project site is at
geos.refractions.net. The project is jointly funded by Refractions
Research, Vivid Solutions, and the British Columbia Advanced Systems
Institute.
  Yury has been doing the development in VC++, being careful to try and
keep things portable. One of the things VC++ does is manage the build
process. So for us UNIX slobs, we have a bunch of source code in the
respository, but no build control. In order to start testing the fruits
of Yury's work in PostGIS, we need to be able to do UNIX builds of a
library we can link to in PostGIS. Yury is just getting to the point
where we will soon have some topological operators to test, so working
toward integrating geos into postgis makes sense about now.
  So, what I am looking for: someone to take the source code from the
GEOS project and create an appropriate GNU build control system for it,
preferably using the autoconf, automake suite of tools to make a
traditional GNU installation. As an added bonus, information about
portability issues would probably be helpful. Please contact me if you
have some experience with these tools and are able to help.
Thanks,
Paul