[geos-devel] GEOS libraries

Ferdinando Villa fvilla at zoo.uvm.edu
Fri Aug 30 09:58:16 EDT 2002

Hi all,

	I'm adding autoconf/automake support to geos. I have a quick question
about the library structure. The most natural source tree configuration
for automake is one library per directory - based on this I would
produce three libraries, libgsgeo (from source in source/geom), libgsgrp
(source/graph) and libgsio (source/io). I assume the code in
subdirectories of these (source/io/markup, source/graph/index) would
link into the corresponding upper-level library. Everyone ok with this
(names and arrangements)?

Other configurations are possible, this is just the most natural given
the current tree structure. In all cases I'll produce a glib-config
script, so linking will just be a matter of adding `geos-config --libs`
to the command line and we won't need to remember the lib names.

Also, is the code in util/ needed into any of the libs? If so, which
one? I'm planning to add that and the test code as EXTRA_DIST so that it
goes in the tar archives when you 'make dist' but doesn't get compiled
by 'make all'. Let me know if that's ok.

More random questions:

Yury - do you want me to fix the trivial quirks about the code (like the
need for including stdio.h for sprintf)?

Also: should I keep notes about what files to add (there will be a
plethora of files to add to cvs) or will you give me cvs write access?

Last one: automake by default will add gnu-compliant files to the root
dir, including LICENSE (the GPL). Is geos GPL'd? If not, just remember
to change the license file when we commit it - we can leave it out but
any run of automake with standard parameters will add it, so it's better
to have one in the first place.

ciao,
ferdinando

--
ferdinando villa, ph.d.           associate research professor
gund institute for ecological economics, university of vermont