[geos-devel] GEOS libraries

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Fri Aug 30 12:11:44 EDT 2002

Paul Ramsey writes:

> Ferdinando,
> Hold off for a day or so. Norman Vine dropped a tarball in my email box
> this morning which purports to have the autoconf stuff done. I need to
> check that it works, but the dragon may already be slain.
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> Ferdinando Villa wrote:
>
> > I'm adding autoconf/automake support to geos. I have a quick question
> >about the library structure. The most natural source tree configuration
> >for automake is one library per directory - based on this I would
> >produce three libraries, libgsgeo (from source in source/geom), libgsgrp
> >(source/graph) and libgsio (source/io). I assume the code in
> >subdirectories of these (source/io/markup, source/graph/index) would
> >link into the corresponding upper-level library. Everyone ok with this
> >(names and arrangements)?

Ferdinando's quetion about the library structure is one that
'should' be addressed.  You will notice that my stuff just takes
the 'easiest way' to get it to compile with the gnu autotools :-)

FWIW
My stuff was done with a home-grown Python script that creates 98%  of the
auto-tools 'stuff' by just walking the directory tree and building a
Makefile.am
in each directory in a 'brain dead' way and  uses the output of autoscan and
the directory structure to build configure.in.  The rest < the .cvsignore(s)
and
the empty toplevel files are just 'boiler plate'.

Cheers

Norman