[geos-devel] RE: [jts_discussion] Geotools.Net released (C# port of JTS 1.2)

Coats, Andy W AWCoats at URBANSCIENCE.com
Tue Jan 14 12:28:35 EST 2003

We found the OpenGIS simple features specification and liked it; I was
speaking to someone at SvgOpen about OpenGIS and how we would like to
implement Simple Features and they mentioned JTS.

We are 100% Microsoft shop so switching to Java (or J#) was not really
an option. But Java is so close to c# that the conversion was relatively
easy (if time consuming). During the conversion process I learned that
Java is more like C# than it is different. There was a couple of Java
language features that were used in 1.2 (anonymous classes) that have no
direct c# equivalent (I believe the next version of c# will have them.).

I was already a huge Open Source advocate, this project proved the point
with my manager. In some ways I almost wish I worked in Java because
there is so much more Open Source code in Java. I must say the Eclipse
IDE is also superb.

I'm excited by a C++ implementation. I'm dreaming that if it was exposed
via COM interfaces, spatial SQL could be implemented in SQL Server using
extended stored procedures. In the mean time, we are waiting for Yukon
(the next version of SQL Server); this will allow us C# to implement
spatial SQL.

In terms of managing the updates - the change from JTS 1.1 to 1.2 was
pretty quick (a couple of days). The test cases helped enormously. Our
QA guy packed them up as NUnit (similar to JUnit).

http://www.svgopen.com/

Java to C#