[geos-devel] Current Status

strk strk at keybit.net
Sun Apr 25 05:33:28 EDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 09:56:31PM -0400, Carl Anderson wrote:

> Is the current API creep in CVS intended?
> toGeometry(Envelope *, ... ) has changed and no long compiles against
> PostGIS cvs nor PostGIS 0.8.1

I've checked out JTS-1.4 and the change is there too, although
not documented in the release notes and mismatching with the
comment that preceedes its definition. I suppose it's a bug
in JTS ported to GEOS. Martin ?

> I ask to see where I should try to plug bugs?
>
> the CVS code is more delicate (has more instance of SIGABRTs) than the
> geos-1.0 code.
>
> The CVS work has promising elements in it but while the 1.0 code
> only SIGABRT'ed on 15 of 200,000 geometries the CVS code
> SIGABRTs on more than 200 of same set.
>
> The 1.0 code only
>    SIGABRTs in the BufferOp routine
> and CVS
>    SIGABRTs in noding/IteratedNoder.cpp and strtree and other places
> but not BufferOp
>
> remembe that my test set is by definition not unlimited and other
> instances of trouble may be waiting in both CVS and 1.0.
>
> so should I chill and wait for CVs to settle, work on submitting a
> patch against 1.0 or work on CVS.

Current work on GEOS is focused on CVS, but if you found urgent
bugs in GEOS-1.0 I think you should submit patches agains it too,
in order to get a GEOS-1.1 release.

Could SIGABRTs have to do with exceptions ?
I'm asking because in cvs GEOS (as in jts-1.4) there is an exception
mechanism used to reduce precision in case of rubustness-related
topological errors, so while GEOS-1.0 would throw an uncatched
exception, GEOS-CVS would handle exceptions and try with a lower
precision (on BufferOp).

> If the CVS API changes are intended could someone increment the version
> tag (and directory name).

Let's wait for Martin response. It seems that the new interface lacks
the ability of specifying the resulting geometry precision model, that
will get the internal precision model... and this seems to me a bug.

--strk;