[geos-devel] GEOS Questions

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Mon Jun 14 14:44:54 EDT 2004

Hi Frank,

I'm not actually working on the GEOS development, but I'll try to give you
some quick answers to get you started... the best answers will probably come
from strk but he's probably sleeping right now ;-)

> 1) Are there some sample applications I am missing demonstrating use of
geos?
PostGIS? not much else.. is there still a simple demo app in the source tree
somewhere?

> 2) Is there a well known binary reader and writer analygous to the
WKTReader
>     and WKTWriter already incorporated?
I don't think there is, I believe these were implemented primarily to allow
the JTS test cases to be run.

> 4) How do I do the wrapping of my own geometry classes with GEOS Geometry
>     objects?
You might want to look at the source for PostGIS for an idea, but I'm sure
someone else on this list can offer more help.

> 5) Has there been any thought to providing Python or other SWIG based
scripting
>     languages access to GEOS?  Would you be interested in my doing so?
No one has mentioned this before on this list... however it was clear at the
MUM that Howard Butler was interested in doing this for python - I don't
know if he's on this list yet... but you may want to work with him on it.

Nice to have you on-board!

Chris