[geos-devel] setup.py for Python SWIG wrappers

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Fri Apr 8 10:46:51 EDT 2005

On Apr 5, 2005, at 6:00 AM, Niki Spahiev wrote:

>> On Apr 4, 2005, at 8:58 AM, Niki Spahiev wrote:
>>
>>> Not very good.
>>> sys.platform == 'win32' does not mean using MSVC.
>>> GCC on win32 is not compatible with this patch
>>
>> Let's try to get this fixed soon.  It seems to me that the 'win32'
>> platform should be understood to be the default windows builds of
>> Python using VC6 (Python <2.3) or MSVC .NET (Python 2.4).  This will
>> be
>> the environment of the great majority of windows users, yes?
>> Evidently
>> the sys module can't distinguish between these and a custom GCC
>> Python.
>>   Any ideas?
>
> There is no GCC Python. GCC (mingw) compiles modules for standard
> win32 python.
>

> Niki Spahiev

OK, now I understand.  This will be tricky.  How to detect which
compiler is going to be used on windows?  If the compiler were
specified on the command line like

     python setup.py build --compiler=mingw

it would be easy, just sys.argv[2].  But if users are specifying the
compiler in a setup.cfg file, then this doesn't work and the compiler
isn't even set until the build target is evaluated.

Any ideas, Niki?

Sean

--
Sean Gillies