[geos-devel] ABI/API status and future development thougths

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 12:15:59 EDT 2005

On 4/21/05, strk at refractions.net <strk at refractions.net> wrote:
> Enough noise, I hope someone will actually read this :P
>
> Every contribution on the topic is highly apprieciated!

Strk,

I am in favour of having a relatively simple stable part of the API
that should even be ABI compatible over long periods of time.

However, as noted earlier, I am generally most concerned
about API changes that make builds harder. Hence my resistance
to the exception improvement.  I don't think you should sweat
about ABI changes related to inlining and so forth, though it would
be nice if they could easily be prevented.

PS. In GDAL I have a C API which I make a substantial effort
to keep ABI compatible over the long term but at the C++ level
I make no effort to retain ABI compatibilty, but I do try to keep
API (ie. source/build level) compatibility as best I can.

Best regards,