[geos-devel] GEOS-3.0.0rc2

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Mon Nov 13 03:03:47 EST 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 01:21:15PM +0900, BABA Yoshihiko wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I maintain GEOS for Fink (MacOSX version of APT, to be short).
> In the previous versions, the "current version" and "compatibility
> version" of libgeos.2.dylib had some values (see below), but RC2 has
> 0.00 for both. Is this temporary? (btw, libgeos_c.dylib has values
> 4.0.0 in RC2)

It was a choice to drop support for binary compatibility of the C++
library. This means that with the new layout any client dynamically
linked against the C++ library of GEOS won't automatically be linked
against C++ lib of new GEOS release. It is a choice to discourage use
of a yet-to-be-cleanly-defined API (the C++ one) and incourage use
of the C API, which is aimed at keeping binary compatibility between
GEOS releases.