[geos-devel] Python/Swig/Configure Bug

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Thu Aug 30 04:20:19 EDT 2007

> Actually... am I right in thinking that SWIG is only needed if
> --enable-python or --enable-ruby is specified?

Good point.

Yes and no.  Remember that we check the SWIG wrapper files into SVN so
that users don't have to recreate them (it also avoids supporting
different versions of SWIG which I think is non-tenable).

So in theory (but this doesn't work in reality) its valid to say:

--disable-swig --enable-ruby --enable-python

And generate the bindings using the checked-in wrappers.  And in fact,
this should be the default

Obviously that's not very clear.  So what I would prefer is:

* Keep --enable-ruby and --enable-python
* Get rid of --enable-swig/-disable-swig
* Add a new parameter called --regenerate-swig-wrappers

So the logic is:

If Python Or Ruby Enabled Then
	If regenerate wrappers
            If detect SWIG