[geos-devel] GEOS 3.1

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 02:52:37 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 15:12 -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> It may seem precipitate to talk about 3.1 when we've spend over a
> year in 3.0.0rcX, but Ben's work on the JTS upgrade and
> PreparedGeometry are ready to see the light of day, and it makes
> sense to put them into trunk. Which implies that 3.0.x should go into
> a branch. And probably be released "officially". Discussion?

Sounds good to me. Given that it's been nearly a year since RC4 and RC5,
and the fact that a RC should be pretty much the final product, I'd say
go for a branch and release. At this stage in the game, I don't think
it's fair to all those people who have tested/built against RCs to turn
around and say "sorry folks, even though we got to RC we're not going to
release, and by the way we're going to make the tree unstable again for
several weeks while we merge in new features and change the API
again...".

I would say though that it's worth spending a day going through the
bugtracker and fixing any low-hanging fruit, with a particular emphasis
on build fixes so we can be reasonably sure that trunk builds on
everything *before* branching and merging in the changes (esp. since if
Ben has been working with VC++, there are likely to be things in the
merge that will break other compilers such as gcc).

ATB,

Mark.

--
ILande - Open Source Consultancy