[geos-devel] Problem with building 3.0.0rc

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Fri Dec 28 14:03:36 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 11:45 -0700, Sean Gillies wrote:

> >> The mkinstalldirs script appears to be buggy on this particular
> >> platform. One shift too many. Strangely, the 3.0rc builds fine on
> >> another Ubuntu 6.10 i686 of mine. Same bash version even.
> >>
> >> I suppose I could try to fix mkinstalldirs, but it seems like it should
> >> be simpler and more foolproof for the build to ignore swig/python
> >> alltogether unless it is explicitly enabled.
> >
> > It would be good to know what is going wrong.  Strk and I did (and Mark
> > a bit) did spend some time trying to make sure this works, and it seems
> > like you've found some bug in the code or our logic.
> >
> > Charlie
>
> I'd like to implement the solution at
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Conditional-Subdirectories.html
>
> It appears trivial. Was there really a 3.0 final made on the 21st as
> appears in the downloads directory? If not, I'd really like to make this
> fix ASAP.
>
> Sean

Hi Sean,

Having looked at Makefile.am in the SWIG directory, the mkinstalldir
target appears to be generated automatically by autotools. So while I
don't object to applying a conditional subdirectory fix, the fact that
it works on another box of yours with the same configuration means that
there is something else somewhere on your box which is causing the build
to fail. In other words, applying a patch for this is just masquerading
another problem on the box in question.

(FWIW it builds fine here on 32-bit Ubuntu 6.06)

Kind regards,

Mark.

--
ILande - Open Source Consultancy