[geos-devel] Can't build geos with ruby swig bindings on Mac OS

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Wed Oct 24 14:08:33 EDT 2007

>  From the HEAD svn version (r2029) it won't build because it can't find
> "geos_c.h" in line 1612 of geos_wrap.cxx.

Hmm - that file is generated by the makefiles during ./configure.  If it
doesn't exist, then you couldn't have built the capi library either.

  After I remedied that, it
> built OK, but then again the *same* issue of "LoadError: no such file to
> load -- geos" error when I typed "require 'geos'" in the irb console.

I'm not very familiar with Mac OS.  But it seems me there are 2
possibilities. First, the error message is correct and Ruby can't find
geos.so (the bindings).  Verify Ruby's load path is correct.

The other possibility is that Ruby is finding the geos.so (the bindings)
but can't find the geos_c.so (the c library).  Does OS X have dependency
checker of some sort so you can tell if that's the issue?

> Charlie, have you (or anyone out there) successfully built a geos-3
> release with --enable-ruby set on Mac OS? If so, can you send me a log
> of the whole build process so I can troubleshoot my own issues?

It sounds like you've built the Ruby bindings just fine.  I don't think
that's the issue here.  It sounds much more like a load path issue.  I
assume you did a make install on the geos c library?  I assume you've
set various permissions correctly?  Etc.

Charlie