[geos-devel] GEOS C API - WKB and WKT deprecated functions

Benjamin Chartier benjamin.chartier at cegetel.net
Fri Oct 26 08:13:02 EDT 2007

Hi all,
I work on the Shapely project
(http://trac.gispython.org/projects/PCL/wiki/Shapely). I have to make it
support GEOS 3 on Windows.
I've seen that some functions of the GEOS 3.0 C API are deprecated (see
http://geos.refractions.net/ro/doxygen_docs/html/geos__c_8h-source.html).
This file suggests to use the "Reader and Writer APIs" instead of the
old WKT and WKB functions. Unfortunately, the "Reader and Writer APIs"
functions don't seem to be present in the GEOS release I use (which
comes from the last Windows PostGIS installer - the version of GEOS CAPI
I use is 3.0.0rc4-CAPI-1.3.3.): I looked at the exported functions by
the libgeos_c-1.dll with a program called DLL Export Viewer and none of
the "Reader and Writer APIs" functions were present.
My questions:
- do you have any idea why I can't use the "Reader and Writer APIs"
functions with the GEOS C API?
- do you have any idea when the functions tagged as deprecated will be
removed?
Thanks,

Benjamin Chartier