[geos-devel] Windows Build

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Sep 5 22:25:34 EDT 2007

Simon Perkins wrote:
> Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> Simon Perkins wrote:
>>
>>> What's the current recommended way to build GEOS on windows using
>>> Visual Studio 2005? I'm having problems using either the
>>> makefile.vc and project file approaches, in both the stable rc4
>>> 3.0.0 release, and the latest SVN version. Before I beat my head
>>> against a wall for too much longer I figured I'd ask which
>>> version / approach is currently the best supported.
>>>

>> Simon, all 3 versions should work well: geos/build/msvc80,
>> makefiles and (experimental) geos/build/bjam.
>>
>> What's the problem?
>
> Actually it's one of my colleagues who's working on this, but I think
>  most of the problems were caused by trying to use the "stable"
> release 3.0.0 rc4 which seems to have various things missing for
> windows.

Yes, this is true.
There were some release script broken, AFAIR.

> Then we ran into the problem that the SVN download didn't seem to
> include the various configure generated files, such as version.h, etc
> which the makefiles were looking for.

There are two steps involved and required to be done manually on Windows:

copy headers/geos/platform.h.vc headers/geos/platform.h
copy headers/geos/version.h.vc headers/geos/version.h

AFAIR, makefile.vc does it for you, at least for platform.h.

> We switched to using project files, but then there were errors
> building the python and ruby bindings (which we don't need).

These projects for scripting langs have been added quite recently,
by Charlie Savage. Perhaps something is not completed or not working
well yet, but you can just remove these projects from the solution.

> But I think, by switching those projects off and using the solution
> files in SVN, we managed to get a build that we can use. I'll let you
> know if we have any other problems!

OK

Cheers
--